Sunday 1 September 2013

FAREWELL TO PRISON WALLS.

By Julian Stuart (one of the Union Prisoners).

[The Industrial Relation Laws that we take for granted today , are hard one conditions by the Labour Movement.]

To-morrow the gates of my prison unfold;
To night is my last in the cell;
The lingering years to their climax have rolled,
I hear with emotins that cannot be told,
The clang of the midnight bell.

I am thinking of those of a similar fate -
Of my mates in the gaol by the sea -
And I picture their eagerness while I await
For the dawn that shall come to my prison gate,
To wake me and set me free.

When we entered the prison, a captive band,
At the close of a bloodless fray,
'Twas like marching for years in a desert land;
But we travelled in unity, hand in hand,
Till one grew faint by the way.

But though days of imcurement have left their trace
On body and brain and heart,
Yet I feel more of pride than I do of disgrace
At being condemned to a criminal's place
For acting a freeman's part.

The loss of my birthright I bore as long
As the criminal gard I wore -
'Twas for aiding the feeble against the strong -
And to lighten the burden of human wrong
I'd suffice it all once more.

I will not brand them as barren days,
Nor days to be linked with regret,
For after the future its verdict displays,
When the scroll of Time shall unroll to our gaze,
They may yield a harvest yet.

I can find no thanks for the debt I owe
To the friends who have been so true;
Oh! friends, when I know not, and many not know,
But whose kindness shall cheer me where-ever I go,
What thanks can I tender you?

But this – To endeavour, in days to come,
Through all that our fates may unfold,
To merit your trust till my lips grow dumb;
To fight in your fights till my heart grows numb,
And the Blood in my veins grows cold.

                                                                                                              
                                                                                         Queensland Railway Times.

Brisbane December 16, 1893.

No comments:

Post a Comment