Saturday 11 January 2014

Letters to Editor: January 26, 1895.

*THE WORKER*
Brisbane, January 26, 1895.


Mail Bag.



The WORKER does not hold itself responsible for
the opinions of its correspondents.
__________

D.B. - Noticed.
J.P.K. - Unsuitable.
O.- Accepted one. Send others.
Sir P.B. and Da. R – Thank you.
Swagman. - Have inserted fuller report.
Vulcan. - Have no idea Try the Sydney Bulletin.
F.J.B. - Received a Wednesday afternoon, too late for this week's issue. Will appear next.

Letters addressed to the following persons are lying at the WORKER office and can be had on application : Messers. Charles Follis (2), Edward Doyle (2), W. Gaw (2), W. Yarrow, P. Poland, Thos. Hutchinson, and W. H. Wright.
______________

ED. WORKER – Why was a ratepayer with a large family taken off the city survey, and a relation of the engineer's, a boy who lives in his house at Coorparoo, put on to his job? It is a disgrace, and should be shown up. Also it is a shame for the labourers to be taken to Cleveland to do private work, and be paid by the Council. - Fairplay.

ED. WORKER – It having come to my knowledge that certain bogus representatives of “New Australia” are in the field, I would call attention to the fact that I am the only authorised agent of the New Australia Co-operative Settlement Association in these colonies, and anyone acting without my written consent is – well, unauthorised. - Gilbert S. Casey.

ED. WORKER – The Gaiety Theatre advertises classic songs, &c., &c., on Sunday evenday evenings, entry by collection, but anyone going there will very soon find out this said collection is nothing short of a direct charge for admission. Pay up a shilling or take a back seat for less money. If this is not a charge and no collection I for one do not know what charging is. Now, sir, I hold that this is illegal, and cannot be lawfully done on a Sabbath. If I am right, which I believe I am, I want to know why the proper authorities do not put a stop to it. And if wrong, and the law is just, why are other people debarred from doing the same. - One Who Knows.

ED. WORKER – Comparisons are odious, so they say; but I think this one takes the cake. I copy this from the Tozerian paper called the Observer of the Uriah instant, which never told a lie “Gympie, Jan. 14. Mr. Fisher, M.L.A., &c., &c. The proceedings were very tame, barely 200 persons being present, “ I know this to be a deliberate lie. Now we will turn to a bright and shining light. “Maryborough, Jan. 14. Mr. J. Annear, M.L.A., visited the foundries and other places to-day, and met with an excellent reception.” I know neither men personally, only having watched their parliamentary career. The latter man when in the chair a bullying, arrogant, overbearing, jumped up ignorant nonentity. The other an earnest, determined, straight man. God help the workers in the foundries, &., when they bow down and worship the vast overwhelming and mighty interest of Jack Annear. - W.H.S.

ED. WORKER – I paid a tax last year, under protest, for working bullocks, classed as dairy cattle. I notice on September 19th last the Premier, H.M. Nelson, in reply to Mr. C. M'Donald, stated: “The Act does not require a man to return working bullocks as dairy cattle.” I therefore inferred they are not subject to the tax. I received a form last month to fill in and pay the tax. I wrote across it that I had no dairy cattle, and the tax I paid last year was upon working bullocks, and also drawing attention to the reply of the Premier to Mr. M'Donald on this subject. I received the following reply:

Office of Chief Inspector of Stock,
Brisbane, 28th December, 1894.
Memo, to Mr. W. O'Leary, Biggenden.
The Meat and Dairy Produce Encouragements Acts 1893 to 1894.

In reply to his memo. returning the form forwarded for the payment of the tax under the above Act. Mr. O'Leary is informed that the Act states; “ The shall be paid by every owner of cattle and sheep owned by him within Queensland. And further -
If any owner makes default in the payments of the tax, he shall incur a penalty of five pounds for every day during which such default continues. “ The tax is due on the first day of January, and must be paid within one month from that date.”

P.R. Gordon,
Chief Inspector of Stock.

Will you please to hand this to the Executive of the Parliamentary Labour Party for further investigation, and let me know the result in time to pay the tax if compelled to do so. I put a letter in the Wide Bay News in reference to this matter, which was widely circulated in this district, and men owning teams are under the impression they have no right to pay tax. W. O'Leary.
[It has been decided by the Government not to enforce payment of the tax on bona fide working bullocks in future. - Ed.]

Ed. WORKER – On the 5th inst. I obtained work through the Labour Bureau with Mr. - - - - , three miles outside of Laidley. The people at the Labour Bureau furnished me with a free pass, and told me I would get 12s.or14s. a week and board. I left Brisbane on Monday morning, 7th inst., and arrived at my destination at 11a.m. On arrival Mrs. - - - - , (who appeared to be the boss) told me she could only give me 12s. I agreed to start at this, and was sent ploughing, being supplied with a pair of wretched horses and a set of colonial harness, composed of bits of wire and green hide. I was sent to sleep in an old humpy, well ventilated in the roof, and was supplied with some of the worst cooked and dirtiest food it has ever been my misfortune to sit down to. On Wednesday Mrs. - - - - , objected to the amount of work I was doing, and told me that if I could not do more I would have to take 5s. a week. This caused a row, I being told to go to the devil. Afterwards I was permitted to remain, but got the final move off on Monday night. On that day I went to work at 6:30 and worked till 12, then from 1 to 7, after which I had to feed the horses. Tea at 8 o'clock, but I was not permitted to have any, Mrs. - - - -, telling me to clear out, or she would knock me over. I had to demand my money several times. She first offered me 5s. This I refused. Then she gave me what she said was 10s. but when I got to Laidley I found she had given me two half-crowns and two two-shilling pieces. I had to pay my fare back to Brisbane – 5s. 10d. I informed the authorities at the Labour Bureau, but was told they could not do anything in the matter. I may say that I have been a ploughman for over 15 years, and have been brought up to farm work. I think it a shame that poor workmen like us should be thus cheated out of our hard-earned few shillings. The Labour Bureau should have some power to compel those employing labour to pay the wagers agreed on. Trusting you will publish this in the interest of the unemployed. - L.Z. South Brisbane.


No comments:

Post a Comment