Friday 17 July 2015

SENATOR PENNY WONG, TOPICS: ALP, CABINET SOLIDARITY, CLIMATE CHANGE, SHENHUA COAL MINE, TONY ABBOTT'S ATTACK ON RENEWABLE ENERGY


SENATOR THE HON PENNY WONG

LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION IN THE SENATE

SHADOW MINISTER FOR TRADE AND INVESTMENT

LABOR SENATOR FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA

TRANSCRIPT



15 July 2015

SKY NEWS RICHO PROGRAM



E&OE - PROOF ONLY
GRAHAM RICHARDSON: Penny Wong is in our Adelaide studio. Good evening Penny.
SENATOR PENNY WONG, LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION IN THE SENATE: Good to be with you. That was quite an introduction, I’ve got to say, Richo.
RICHARDSON: Yeah, well, I’m actually passionate about climate change. I haven’t weakened on it at all. Now I was never in the extremist group, I never believed that the sea would inundate Campbell Avenue at Bondi, and our great icon beach would be gone. I never believed that, but I do believe that there are serious effects of climate change that people don’t even talk about and I really think we’ve got to get back to talking about them and I think the Labor Party has vacated the field largely for the last three or four years. We need to make it a front and centre issue, we need to try. Why don’t we?
WONG: I don’t agree with everything you said, but I think as a student of Labor history you will know Labor has been committed to effective action on climate change for, I think, for over ten years now, unlike Tony Abbott. Unlike Tony Abbott we’re committed to increasing Australia’s renewable energy use and making sure we tap the renewable energy resources that Australia has. And we’re committed to capping Australia’s pollution because that is an effective response to climate change.
Now, as you said, Bill Shorten has made it clear that our response won’t include a carbon tax, but we remain committed to effective action on climate change. And it is disappointing that so many on the Liberal Party side, who used to believe that the country should respond to climate change have fallen into line behind Tony Abbott.
RICHARDSON: Yeah, well he just doesn’t believe in climate change. He’s not a sceptic, he’s a denier. I just wish though that we had taken up the cudgels over the last few years. I think Labor got scared of talking about it and just stopped, and we need to get back in, because quite apart from the Labor Party and where it heads in an election, this is such an important issue. Kevin Rudd got one thing right, it is the biggest issue facing our generation and I wish to god we’d start addressing it. And the only thing I’d say to you in response to what you just said is, if you have a commitment part of a commitment involves talking, part of a commitment involves proselytising for your cause, for your commitment and I just don’t think we’ve prosecuted this case for a long, long time.
WONG: Well, I mean, that’s a matter of opinion, Richo. I think in the previous government we actually did prosecute the case. People might say we made mistakes in how we prosecuted that case, but I don’t think it’s fair to say there wasn’t a lot of effort put into arguing the case. But I think the more important issue is the future, and what you heard from Mr Abbott  today, and there was a grab of it on the news that preceded the commencement of your show, is again the same lines he used in 2010, the same slogans. And that’s because Tony Abbott doesn’t actually want to talk about the future, he doesn’t want to talk about his plan for the future. He certainly doesn’t want to talk about his record, because his record in government is a series of broken promises which hurt Australians. Let’s remember ‘no cuts to health, no cuts to education, no changes to the GST’ and all of the above, which were broken.
And so we know what Tony Abbott will do. What’s important from Labor’s perspective is we go through the process, which we’re going through as a responsible opposition of developing our policy well ahead of the next election.
RICHARDSON: Well, I hope we are, I really do. But it’s just been my view that we got scared of talking. When I say ‘we’ – it’s hard for me to say ‘we’ these days, I suppose it’s incorrect, ‘you’ – I think you, plural you, got frightened of what was happening on carbon tax. Because we had a carbon tax, ridiculous amount, set way too high, at least four times the world price at the time, so we looked stupid. We knew we looked stupid, so we didn’t talk about it. Those days have gone. We’ve got to get back to talking about the issue, because what I am frightened about is that we are losing ground on this. That those who believe in climate change are losing ground to the sceptics and the deniers, and I just want to make sure that Labor rejoins the fight. Come with me.
WONG: Look, I agree with you that there’s been a real – since this Government was elected, since Tony Abbott became the Prime Minister – there’s been worse than an absence of leadership, there’s been a really extreme attack, not only on climate scientists and on climate science, but on renewables. We’ve seen in recent days the Prime Minister’s attack on renewable energy, his, it seems to be a hatred of, for example wind energy. I don’t know why he’s got such a set against renewable energy, but that’s certainly the approach that Tony Abbott is taking when it comes to this broader issue of how Australia responds to climate change.
RICHARDSON: I thought this decision, that you can now have a Clean Energy Finance Corporation that can invest in anything but clean energy, is pretty strange, pretty strange.
WONG: It is pretty strange. And I think what it really is, when you boil it down, he couldn’t abolish the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, because he couldn’t get that through the Senate, in fact it’s his only double dissolution trigger that bill, because Senators said no we’re not going to abolish it, and so he’s trying to nobble it by other means. He’s trying to nobble it by giving it directions which are unachievable and directions not to invest in a whole range of clean energy. I mean it’s pretty ridiculous and it shows the extent to which this bloke lives in the past.
RICHARDSON: But the excuse the Government uses, and I’ve prerecorded an interview with Greg Hunt, which will be shown immediately after you, he and I noticed Tony Abbott, basically say that the real purpose of the finance corporation, or the renewable energy one, or clean energy, was in the end to look at new, innovative programs that might do something, and not the traditional wind farms and solar.
WONG: That’s just a line and it’s not true. What I would say about Greg Hunt – you might reckon he’s a nice bloke, Richo and he may well be – but I think he is one of the people with the least credibility in Federal Parliament. This is a bloke who used to say action on climate change was important and now is rolled out to justify the inaction on climate change that is Tony Abbott’s policy. And a bloke who’s at war with Barnaby Joyce over his decisions and his primary defence of that is that he really likes Barnaby, he really, really likes Barnaby.
RICHARDSON: I’m going to interrupt you here. They have a relationship, this is true love, I can assure you.
WONG: Well, I’m very pleased for them, but I think everybody has seen over the last days that there is an enormous rift in the Federal Cabinet between the Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce, and other ministers, including the Prime Minister, to the extent that he’s not appearing with the Prime Minister and he’s refusing to back government decisions. I mean you’d have to ask, why is Barnaby Joyce still in the Cabinet?
As you know, Richo, Cabinet ministers are bound to support each other’s decisions, even if in the room you haven’t agreed with them. And he’s out there publicly berating the decision, berating Mr Hunt and the decision that’s been made in relation to the mine on the Liverpool Plains.
RICHARDSON: Oh, I know it only too well. I spent three days arguing against the third runway at Sydney Airport, because I wanted to build Badgerys and I knew it would mean, it’s been a 30 year delay and we all knew it would, and so I fought it for three days. And then I came out and I argued every line I’d said was rubbish for those three days. I put them earnestly and pushed the case as hard as I could. That’s what you’ve got to do. Apparently that commitment to Cabinet solidarity seems to have lessened. I’ve got to ask you-
WONG: -Well, there seems to be a Barnaby exclusion clause, which is kind of odd.
RICHARDSON: Well, that’s because you can’t control Barnaby, you know that. There’s no way in the world he’ll ever accept discipline, it’s a foreign word to him, he just doesn’t understand the language.
WONG: Well, that’s the principle of Cabinet Government that Tony Abbott said to Australians that he would be ensuring would occur under him-
RICHARDSON: -Indeed. I’m getting the wind up, so I’ve got to ask one quick question. You’ve got the conference coming up, the Federal Conference. Now, it seems to me that you’ve had a really bad month and whether you want to agree with me or not doesn’t matter, it’s just a fact, you’ve had a really, really bad month. Bill Shorten, in particular, needs to have things go well for him at the conference and he needs some big announcements, some things that show he’s got Australian’s best at hand, that he understands that there is a problem with debt and that he knows how he’s going to sort it out. What can we expect to hear?
WONG: You’ve been a party to many national conferences, Richo, in your time and you know they’re vigorous debates, they’re inclusive debates. We’re an open, democratic party, in which debate is encouraged. But I can tell you one thing; everyone in our party is absolutely focused on ensuring we see the back of Tony Abbott and on ensuring we get Bill Shorten elected as Prime Minister.
We’re absolutely focused on some of the key issues, like jobs. We can see what’s happening in the economy, we know what’s happening in the economy, and we know that the number one priority that we have to focus on is how do we generate jobs in this economy, something that Tony Abbott seems to have given up on.
RICHARDSON: Indeed. They’re going to get angry with me, and I will do one quick one. Why don’t you just get up and say, given the thuggery exposed in the CFMEU, certainly in Victoria, the ACT and NSW, that the unions are out until they sort those problems out. Why don’t you just do that? Because it seems to me, every Australian will agree with you, why not do it?
WONG: Hang on a sec, there are great many people who are members of unions and officials of unions, who do the right thing.
RICHARDSON: That’s right, I’m a member of a union and will always be in one.
WONG: And what I would say is if there are allegations of criminality, they ought to be referred to the police, and criminal behaviour has no place anywhere and certainly no place in our movement.
RICHARDSON: Why don’t you just get rid of them?
WONG: Can I just say, criminal behaviour ought not be countenanced anywhere, but if you’re suggesting that we should make sure everybody is excluded because of the actions of some people who have engaged in criminal behaviour, who ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, I don’t agree with you. There are a great many union members, like you, Richo, who are involved in the Labor Party and involved in their union and they deserve their say.
RICHARDSON: That’s right and my father was one of them, but never, ever, ever would he be caught doing some of the things that these people do. And I tell you, it’s just-
WONG: -Unacceptable.
RICHARDSON: It’s appalling and it’s unacceptable. The trouble is-
WONG: -I agree with that-
RICHARDSON: -We’ve all known about too much of this for years and done nothing about it. That’s the real truth. I have to leave it, thank you very much for your time. We’ll do it again, I don’t mean to cut you off, but they’re getting very angry with me. I have to go.
WONG: Ok.
 RICHARDSON: Ok, thanks Penny, see you later.
WONG: See you later, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment