- Earth’s sixth mass extinction event under way, scientists warn
- World’s largest butterfly survey aims to assess apparent spike in British numbers
- Electric cars to account for all new vehicle sales in Europe by 2035
- Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children
- EU calls for immediate ban on logging in Poland’s Białowieża forest
- Iceberg twice size of Luxembourg breaks off Antarctic ice shelf
- Seven right whales found dead in ‘devastating’ blow to endangered animal
- Exclusive: government inaction leading to increased pollution on Barrier Reef, says WWF
The defendersThis week the Guardian launched a project, in collaboration with Global Witness, to attempt to record the deaths of everyone who dies over the next year in defence of the environment. We will be reporting from the world’s last wildernesses, as well as from the most industrialised countries on the planet, on the work of environmental defenders and the assaults upon them.
- Environmental defenders being killed in record numbers globally, new research reveals
- Interactive: 98 environmental defenders killed so far in 2017
- The Canadian company mining hills of silver – and the people dying to stop it
- Who are environmental defenders?
- ‘You helmets, get a life!’: Celebrating 25 years of the Dunwich Dynamo
- If you care so much, Coke, why aren’t your bottles 100% recycled?
- 5,665 gates, 4,862 stiles, 1,054 bridges: but who maintains the Yorkshire dales?
- The week in wildlife – in pictures
- Sri Lankan navy saves wild elephant found in ocean – video
- Fido’s family tree – in pictures