Tuesday, 19 May 2026

Pope Leo to issue text on human dignity and AI with Anthropic co-founder.

 Extract from The Guardian

a man in front of a microphone

The pope’s encyclical will address ‘the protection of the human person in the age of AI’, the Vatican says

The Chicago-born pontiff will present the document, known as an encyclical, at the Vatican next week during an event attended by Christopher Olah, the co-founder of Anthropic – a US-based AI firm that has clashed with Donald Trump’s administration.

The encyclical will address “the protection of the human person in the age of artificial intelligence”, the Vatican said on Monday.

In a break from tradition, Leo, who was elected pontiff in May last year, will launch the document during a public presentation on 25 May. He will be joined by lay speaker Olah of Anthropic, which is in the middle of a high-profile lawsuit with the Trump administration over the ethics of AI, as well as theologians Anna Rowlands and Léocadie Lushombo.

Encyclicals are one of the highest forms of teaching from a pope to the Catholic church’s 1.4 billion members, and typically outline his priorities while highlighting the major issues in society.

Leo is expected to consider how AI is affecting workers’ rights while lamenting its use in warfare.

“His encyclical is going to be a response to the dazzlingly rapid technological revolution that is happening right now,” said Andrea Vreede, a Vatican correspondent for the Dutch public radio and TV network NOS. “So he will say things like AI shouldn’t be used in warfare, that is obvious. But he will also try to be positive and offer workable answers to modern challenges.”

The Vatican said Leo signed the document, which is entitled Magnifica Humanitas, or Magnificent Humanity, on 15 May – 135 years after his namesake, Pope Leo XIII, signed his most significant encyclical, which focused on the Industrial Revolution that was under way at the time while addressing workers’ rights and capitalism.

“The fact that Leo signed the document on the same date as Leo XIII signed his encyclical is significant,” said Vreede. “The 1891 document was a response to the Industrial Revolution, when there were immediate and practical consequences to society, and this one addresses the technological revolution.”

Christopher White, the author of Pope Leo XIV: Inside the Conclave and the Dawn of a New Papacy and a senior fellow at Georgetown University’s Initiative on Catholic Social Thought and Public Life, said the Vatican had been seriously engaged on questions surrounding AI for several years now, pointing to regular dialogues with Microsoft, Google and other major technology firms.

“Leo’s new encyclical is likely to build on that tradition – not from a perspective of doomerism but one of caution that as technology advances, the human person should be kept at the centre of the discussion,” said White. “Like Pope Francis, Leo will likely raise concern about the dignity of work and the need to ensure that technological advancements don’t override the dignity of workers and their rights. And he’ll likely insist on the need for stringent regulation and a ban on lethal autonomous weapons.”

Traditionally, a pope’s encyclical is presented by cardinals. While the main presenters will be the Vatican’s top cardinals, doctrine chief Cardinal Víctor Manuel Fernández and development chief Cardinal Michael Czerny, the fact that lay speakers have been invited – along with Leo’s attendance – is also significant.

Vreede said: “That’s a very clever strategic communication move, because if the cardinals do it, nobody really listens, but if the pope is there, all the cameras will be there, and we will all listen.”

Where is Gazan doctor Hussam Abu Safiya?

 Brought to you by

Hussam Abu Safiya, director of Kamal Adwan Hospital in Gaza, was repeatedly warned to evacuate during the war between Israel and Hamas, but chose to remain with his patients. In December 2024, he was arrested by the Israel Defence Forces. Seventeen months later, Amnesty International alleges that Dr. Abu Safiya has been tortured in detention, while the United Nations has called for his release. The IDF, meanwhile, says the doctor has ties to Hamas.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/latenightlive/gaza-doctor-hussam-abu-safiya/106693426

Guest: Dr. Guy Shalev, CEO of Physicians for Human Rights Israel

Producer: Ali Benton

Image Details

The last operating hospital in northern Gaza was this week forcibly evacuated by Israeli forces.

Israeli forces intercept Gaza flotilla with Australians on board, organisers say.

Extract from ABC News


In short:

Organisers of a Gaza-bound flotilla say they have been intercepted by the Israeli navy.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been pictured watching the interception operation.

One international law expert says the blockade of Gaza should concern countries like Australia.

Monday, 18 May 2026

Can electric trucks win over Australia’s fossil fuel die hards? Or is diesel here for the long haul?

 Extract from The Guardian

Chinese electric truck company Windrose's all-electric prime mover.

Amid soaring fuel prices, the government announced $3.2bn to store a billion more litres of diesel and jet fuel. What about just using less of it?

Bo Christensen, a fleet electrification specialist, who followed behind the Windrose prime mover in last year’s trial:“It’s a very tough run, but we were overtaking pretty much all the trucks going up the hill”.

“We did it pretty comfortably.”

The ongoing US-Israel war on Iran and the conflict over the critical strait of Hormuz oil shipping route sent diesel prices soaring and brought Australia’s reliance on the mostly imported fuel into sharp relief.

In response, conservative politicians have been calling for more oil drilling and more refineries. The Australian government this week announced a $10bn fuel security package including $3.2bn to store a billion more litres of diesel and jet fuel.

There has been little talk from political leaders of the other way to lower the country’s risk from future fuel shocks – powering trucks with electricity.

“Unfortunately what’s happening in Iran is reminding people that hoping for cheaper diesel is not a strategy,” the founder of Chinese electric-truck maker Windrose, Wen Han, says.

Windrose company founder and chief executive, Han Wen.
Windrose company founder and chief executive, Han Wen. Photograph: Windrose

Han says his company expects to sell “hundreds” of its trucks in Australia this year. He’s already sold 10 – at $450,000 each.

By 2030, Han aims to have sold 100,000 trucks globally “and I expect 20,000 of those to be in Australia,” he says . “We will be the dominant truck.”

The Mount Ousley test, loaded with metal from the BlueScope steelworks in Port Kembla, was one of several conducted by Windrose while the vehicle awaits final certification for Australian roads.

Han says there has been scepticism from potential customers who “don’t believe in the performance”.

“We just have to go and prove it,” he says. “Then we see this whiplash from ‘I don’t believe you’ to, ‘can I get this truck yesterday?’”

The Windrose truck claims a range of almost 700 kilometres (it did the 102km Port Kembla to Sydney run twice on one charge) and Han says it can be recharged from zero to 60% in about 35 minutes. Planned upgrades in the next two years will see the range increased and the charging times fall, he says.

But Windrose is just one of an increasing lineup of heavy duty all-electric trucks competing in the Australian market.

Research from Mov3ment – an Australian advisory group on fleet electrification – finds Volvo, Sany, Daimler, Foton and Deepway are all selling in Australia.

Among vans and lighter trucks, the choice is even greater. A Mov3ment report said 332 electric trucks and vans were sold in Australia last year, including 79 heavy duty models – triple the previous year.

Companies including Ikea, Woolworths, Australia Post, Coles, Coca-Cola and Temple & Webster have all introduced electric trucks, partnering with companies like Linfox, Toll and ANC.

Electric truck
‘The potential for the Australian truck fleet is somewhere close to 80% that could be electrified with models that are available in the world today,’ according to the Energy Futures Foundation. Photograph: New Energy Transport

Next week, electric transport company Zenobē will see the first in a new fleet of 30 trucks on the road in Melbourne and Sydney delivering appliances for Winnings.

The executive director of the Energy Futures Foundation, Bruce Hardy, says despite this flurry of new projects, Australia has “radically fallen behind”.

Greenhouse gas emissions from transport remain stubbornly high and are projected to be the biggest source of emissions in Australia by 2030. Heavy vehicles currently make up about a quarter of all transport emissions.

Research commissioned by EFF says only 0.7% of new truck sales in Australia last year were electric, compared with 20% in China, 7% in Germany and 2% in the UK.

“We haven’t learned the lessons of the energy security and fuel crises that we’ve been through before – we had Covid, the Ukraine war, and now [Iran],” says Hardy.

“The potential for the Australian truck fleet is somewhere close to 80% that could be electrified with models that are available in the world today.”

Hardy says more than half of Australia’s diesel trucks will hit their usual replacement age in the next five years. “If we don’t offer a meaningful pathway [to electric] then we lock-in diesel trucks for another 15 years,” he says.

According to data from the Electric Vehicle Council, there are 1,000 electric trucks and vans on Australian roads – a tiny percentage of the more than 600,000 rigid and articulated trucks.

Senior policy officer for heavy vehicles at the council, Cameron Rimington, says: “More and more truckies are considering going electric, as their diesel bills soar – but we are still starting from a very low base.

The EV transition for freight vehicles is still in its infancy and it’s been remarkable how little government support has been directed towards this critical sector.”

“This has been a missing piece in the fuel crisis response so far: freight vehicles that run on Australian energy.”

Charging ahead?

Most current electric truck models are significantly more expensive than their diesel counterparts.

Making an electric switch looks too risky for the 98% of trucking companies that are run by small operators already working with tight profit margins says Todd Hacking, chief executive at trucking association Heavy Vehicle Industry Australia.

“These companies have 130 years of history with internal combustion engines,” he says.

“Battery electric trucks are more expensive and they change how you have to think about your operations, but we are saying don’t bury your head in the sand. We need to tell people this [move to electric] is coming. But without government assistance, it is a hard sell.”

Hacking says prices of battery electric trucks are likely to fall quickly and operators love driving them. With charging times also falling, he says in practical terms electric trucks could have a strong future.

Hacking says about 80% of the greenhouse gas emissions from road freight come from the 20% of vehicles doing long-haul trips. So he says if decarbonisation is a goal, then a focus should be on those heavier trucks

As well as battery electric trucks, Hacking says existing diesel trucks could also replace fossil fuels with biodiesel that can work with existing internal combustion engines.

For an industry so rooted in easy access to a liquid fuel, one major challenge for electric trucking will be access to chargers.

For so-called “last mile” and metro deliveries, trucks often return to depots where vehicles can be charged overnight. But for long-haul freight, more trucks will need access to chargers.

Daniel Bleakley, co-founder of New Energy Transport, says when it comes to rolling out charging infrastructure and getting chargers connected to the grid “we should be on a war footing for this, right now.”

“This is exclusively a fossil fuel crisis – there’s no crisis in wind or solar production,” he says.

“If we don’t move, we are going to be shackled to this insanely volatile system until it collapses. Do we keep going, or do we pivot?”

Christensen, the head of fleet electrification at NewVolt – a company building three open-access charging hubs for electric trucks around Melbourne, helped by a $25.3m grant from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.

NewVolt is developing plans for a network of up to 60 renewables-powered charging hubs that would allow electric trucks to make long-haul trips between Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

He says while the technology may seem new to Australians, Chinese companies have been developing them for more than a decade.

“It’s new to us. But it’s not new,” he says.

Protesters march at Nakba Day rallies around Australia.

Extract from ABC News

A agthering of people on a city street with some holding Palestinian flags.

Protesters gather in Adelaide's city centre on Sunday to mark Nakba Day. (ABC News: Briana Fiore)