Saturday 3 June 2017

This week showed the president doesn't have the moral compass of a child

This year, my first grader learned how to be a good steward to the earth. She explained to us how we needed to shut lights off more often, eat meat less and buy our berries from places where workers were paid fair wages. It made us proud that she understands just how important it is to take care of the world around us – not just for ourselves, but for future generations.
It’s not a great week when you wish the president of the United States had the moral compass of a six-year-old. There’s not much I can say about Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement that hasn’t already been said. But I can say that I’m ashamed.
Ashamed that Americans elected someone who cares so little about anything other than himself, ashamed of what we’re leaving our children and grandchildren. Ashamed that I need to explain to my daughter that we’re failing so miserably at being good citizens of the earth, that all of this will fall to her and her friends.

Glass Half Full

The bravery of a surviving victim of the racist attack in Portland that left two good samaritans dead: Micah Fletcher made a video imploring those sending money and well-wishes his way to instead focus on the two young girls who were being harassed and attacked by the white supremacist attacker. (You can help them here.)

Who I’m reading

Adam Serwer on Greg Gianforte, the Republican party and “bravery”; the Marie Claire investigation into evangelicals who use Planned Parenthood and, of course, Rebecca Traister’s incredible profile of Hillary Clinton post-election.

What I’m watching

The video of the actor Jessica Chastain taking the movies at Cannes to task for their representations of women: “I hope when we include female storytellers they will be more like the women I know in my day-to-day life. They are proactive, have their own point of view and don’t just react to men around them.”

How outraged I am

On a scale of one to 10, I’m at a nine over the news that the Trump administration is planning to roll back Obama’s birth control protections – allowing employers to deny coverage for contraception for any moral or religious reason. The only reason I’m not at a full 10 is that I’m not in the least bit surprised.

How I’m making it through this week

An oldie but a goodie - otters holding hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno

No comments:

Post a Comment