Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Friday, 11 September 2015
Homo naledi: New species of ancient human discovered, claim scientists
A huge haul of bones found in a small, dark chamber at the back of a cave in South Africa may be the remnants of a new species of ancient human relative.
Explorers discovered the bones after squeezing through a fissure high in the rear wall of the Rising Star cave, 50km from Johannesburg, before descending down a long, narrow chute to the chamber floor 40 metres beneath the surface.
The entrance chute into the Dinaledi chamber is so tight - a mere
eight inches wide - that six lightly built female researchers were
brought in to excavate the bones. Footage from their cameras was beamed
along 3.5km of optic cable to a command centre above ground as they
worked inside the cramped enclosure.
The excavators recovered more than 1,500 pieces of bone belonging to
at least 15 individuals. The remains appear to be infants, juveniles and
one very old adult. Thousands more pieces of bone are still in the
chamber, smothered in the soft dirt that covers the ground.
In this short video,
the leaders of the National Geographic-funded project discuss their
discovery of the “human ancestor”. The team believes the bones - as yet
undated - represent a new species of ancient human relative. They have
named the creature Homo naledi, where naledi means “star” in Sesotho,
one of the official languages of South Africa, and the primary official
language of Lesotho. But other experts on human origins say the claim is
unjustified, at least on the evidence gathered so far. The bones, they
argue, look strikingly similar to those of early Homo erectus, a forerunner of modern humans who wandered southern Africa 1.5m years ago.
“We’ve found a new species that we are placing in the genus Homo, which is really quite remarkable,” said Lee Berger,
a paleoanthropologist who led the work at the University of
Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. He described the slender, small-brained
creatures as “long-legged”, “pinheaded” and “gangly”. The males stood
about 5ft, with females a little shorter.
Measurements of the bones show that the creature has a curious blend
of ancient ape and modern human-like features. Its brain is tiny, the
size of a gorilla’s. Its teeth are small and simple. The thorax is
primitive and ape-like, but its hands more modern, their shape
well-suited to making basic tools. The feet and ankles are built for
walking upright, but its fingers are curved, a feature seen in apes that
spend much of their time in the trees. The findings are reported in twopapers published in the online journal eLife.
Lee Bergen’s daughter Megan and underground exploration team member Rick
Hunter navigate the narrow chutes leading to the Dinaledi chamber.
Photograph: Robert Clark/National GeographicThe Dinaledi chamber has been visited by explorers in the past, and
the soft sediments in which the bones were found have been badly
disturbed. Because the remains were not encased in rock, Berger’s team
has not been able to date them. They could be 3m years old, or far more
modern. No other animals were found in the chamber that might hint at
when the human relative got there.“If this is an ancient species, like a coelacanthe, that has come
down through time and is only tens of thousands, or hundreds of
thousands of years old, it means that during that time we had a complex
species wandering around Africa, perhaps making tools. That would make
archaeology very difficult, because we aren’t going to know who made
what,” Berger said.John Hawks,
a researcher on the team, said that despite some of its modern
features, Homo naledi probably belonged at the origins of our genus,
Homo. “It’s telling us that evolutionary history was probably different
to what we had imagined,” he said. Paul Dirks,
another scientist involved, said that work was ongoing to establish the
age of the bones. Some tests, such as carbon dating, will destroy the
material, and will only be tried once the bones have been studied more
closely.Without knowing the age of the bones, some researchers see the
fossils as little more than novelties. “If they are as old as two
million years, then they might be early South African versions of Homo erectus,
a species already known from that region. If much more recent, they
could be a relic species that persisted in isolation. In other words,
they are more curiosities than game-changers for now,” said William Jungers, an anthropologist at Stony Brook School of Medicine in New York.Christoph Zollikofer,
an anthropologist at the University of Zurich, said that many of the
bone characteristics used to claim the creature as a new species are
seen in more primitive animals, and by definition cannot be used to
define a new species. “The few ‘unique’ features that potentially define
the new species need further scrutiny, as they may represent individual
variation, or variation at the population level,” he said. Tim White,
a paleoanthropologist at the University of California, Berkeley, goes
further. “From what is presented here, they belong to a primitive Homo
erectus, a species named in the 1800s.”The Dinaledi chamber is extremely hard to access today, raising the
question of how the creatures came to be there. They may have clambered
in and become stuck, or died when water filled the cave. But Berger and
his colleagues favour a more radical explanation. “We have, after
eliminating all of the probable, come to the conclusion that Homo naledi
was utilising this chamber in a ritualised fashion to deliberately
dispose of its dead,” Berger said.
The team lays out fossils of Homo naledi at the University of the
Witwatersrand’s Evolutionary Studies Institute. Photograph: Robert
Clark/National GeographicThe conclusion is not widely accepted by others. “Intentional
disposal of rotting corpses by fellow pinheads makes a nice headline,
but seems like a stretch to me,” said Jungers. Zollikofer agrees. “The
‘new species’ and ‘dump-the-dead’ claims are clearly for the media. None
of them is substantiated by the data presented in the publications,” he
said. Hawks is open to other explanations, but said that disposal made
sense. “The evidence really tends to exclude the idea that they entered
the chamber one at a time, alive, over some time, because we have
infants, small children, and very old adults who would almost certainly
not have managed to get into this chamber without being deposited
there.”Chris Stringer,
head of human origins at the Natural History Museum in London, said
that how the creatures reached their final resting place was a “big
puzzle”.“If we’re talking about intentional disposal, we’re talking about
creatures with a brain the size of a gorilla’s going deep into a cave,
into the dark, and posting bodies through a small fissure into this cave
chamber. It’s remarkably complex behaviour for what we’d think of as a
very primitive human-like species. Whether there are other explanations
remains to be seen, but it’s one of the plausible explanations,” he
said.
No comments:
Post a Comment