Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Tuesday, 1 October 2024
US confirms Israel is conducting 'limited operations' in Lebanon as ground invasion appears imminent.
Israel reportedly warns US of imminent ground invasion of Lebanon
In short:
Israel
has told the United States it is conducting limited ground operations
focused on Hezbollah infrastructure in Lebanon near the border.
Israeli
tanks have been gathering near the country's border with Lebanon, as
speculation continues to grow it will launch a ground invasion.
What's next:
The
deputy secretary-general of Hezbollah, Israel's primary adversary in
Lebanon, says the militant group is ready for any invasion by Israel.
Link copied
Israel
has told the United States it is conducting limited ground operations
focused on Hezbollah infrastructure in Lebanon near the border with
Israel, the US State Department has said.
"This
is what they have informed us that they are currently conducting, which
are limited operations targeting Hezbollah infrastructure near the
border," State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters.
Asked to confirm they were limited ground operations, he said: "That is our understanding."
It
comes as Israel's defence minister all but confirmed plans to launch a
large-scale ground invasion of Lebanon — although not the timing of it —
as the country's military continued gathering near the border.
The operation aims to clear areas near the so-called Blue Line, which separates the states, of Hezbollah infrastructure.
Such a move would be the first time since 2006 that Israel had invaded Lebanon.
It
would also signal yet another escalation in its conflict with Hezbollah
just days after the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) assassinated the
militant group's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, in Beirut.
In
a speech to troops on Monday, Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said: "The
elimination of Nasrallah is an important step, but it is not the end."
He said Israel would use "all the means that may be required ... from the air, from the sea and on land. Good luck."
Yoav Gallant made a point of wishing soldiers "good luck" on Monday. (Supplied: Israel Government Press Office)
His statement appeared to confirm what many observers have been predicting.
Along
with the statements from officials pointing towards that happening,
video has emerged of more Israeli tanks gathering near the border and
the IDF has mobilised multiple brigades of reserve soldiers to serve
around the country — clear signs all pointing in one direction.
Hezbollah,
which is designated as a terrorist organisation by the Australian
government, says it is ready for a potential Israeli ground invasion.
The
militant group's deputy Naim Qassem on Monday gave a televised address —
his first since Nasrallah was killed in an Israeli air strike late last
week.
"We will face any
possibility and we are ready if the Israelis decide to enter by land and
the resistance forces are ready for a ground engagement," he said.
He also said the group would pick a new leader soon.
Lebanon's Hezbollah deputy leader Naim Qassem makes a point during his televised address. (Supplied: Al Manar TV via Reuters)
Hezbollah
is particularly influential in southern Lebanon — an area that borders
Israel, and from where it launches many of its attacks.
On
Monday, Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati announced his
government was prepared to send its military to the border in a bid to
stop Hezbollah's attacks as part of a potential ceasefire agreement with
Israel.
Meanwhile, the IDF's
air strikes in Lebanon continued on Monday, with multiple locations
around the country struck again, mainly in the south.
The attacks have so far killed about 1,000 people and displaced 1 million, according to the Lebanese government.
No comments:
Post a Comment