Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Saturday, 2 December 2017
South Australia turns on Tesla's 100MW battery: 'History in the making'
Jay Weatherill marks the official launch as Elon Musk delivers on his promise to complete project within 100 days
The Tesla Powerpacks in Hornsdale, Australia
Photograph: HANDOUT/Reuters
Australian Associated Press
The world’s largest lithium-ion battery has officially been turned on in South Australia promising to usher in a revolution in how electricity is produced and stored.
Tesla boss Elon Musk has made good on his promise to build the 100-megawatt facility on deadline or provide it free after blackouts last year that critics of the state’s Labor government blamed on pro-renewable policies.
The battery had begun dispatching some power into the state’s
electricity network on Thursday afternoon as temperatures rose above
30C.
The state’s premier, Jay Weatherill,
flicked the switch at Jamestown on Friday, saying it was history in the
making. “I want to express my gratitude to the workers who have
constructed this battery, they have every right to be proud of what they
have constructed,” he said in a statement.
Tesla founder Elon Musk presenting the new Roadster electric sports vehicle this month Photograph: Tesla Handout/EPA
“South Australia is now leading the world in dispatchable renewable
energy, delivered to homes and businesses 24/7,” Weatherill said.
In a dig at his critics in the federal government, he added: “While
others are just talking, we are delivering our energy plan, making South
Australia more self-sufficient, and providing back up power and more
affordable energy for South Australians this summer.
“The world’s largest lithium ion battery will be an important part of
our energy mix, and it sends the clearest message that South Australia
will be a leader in renewable energy with battery storage.”
The battery is paired to the neighbouring Hornsdale Wind Farm, owned
by French company Neoen, to bring greater reliability and stability to
the state’s electricity grid.
It has the capacity to power 30,000 homes for up to an hour in the
event of a blackout, but is more likely to be called into action to even
out electricity supplies at less critical times.
Its production was brought about after a Twitter exchange between
Musk and Australian tech billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes, who challenged
the Tesla boss to end SA’s energy problems.
Musk responded that if he couldn’t build a 100-megawatt battery in
100 days from signing the contract, he would provide it for free.
Tesla easily beat the deadline, finishing the project in about 60 days, though it did get a head start on construction.
No comments:
Post a Comment