Tuesday 30 January 2018

Standing up to your landlord — and winning

Updated about 2 hours ago


Renters and landlords don't always see eye-to-eye and disputes can get ugly.
If you do take your landlord to a court or tribunal, or end up being called yourself, here are some ways to put your best foot forward.
The ABC spoke to two tenants who won their cases.

Landlord tried to claim $1,700

Melanie Burge drew the line after her landlord took her to the tribunal at the end of her lease in Melbourne's inner-north in 2016.
The landlord tried to claim the $1,700 bond, including $220 for steam-cleaning and unspecified amounts for cleaning, painting, gardening and a missing old wine barrel.
The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal found only $50 worth could be proved, with Ms Burge securing the remainder of the bond.

What was your reaction when you found out you were being taken to the tribunal?

"I felt incredibly angry and disbelieving. I felt, 'Pinch me, are you serious, you're actually taking us to VCAT [Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal]?'" she said.

"We paid the rent on time every month. We were conscientious in letting the landlord know of issues.
"I wasn't in position to sacrifice any part of my bond but I think a stronger factor was, 'I can't let you get away with it, this is ridiculous!'"

What did you do to prepare yourself for the hearing?

"Not having had any experience of VCAT myself, I put a message on Facebook saying, 'Melbourne friends, have any of you had anything to do with VCAT?'" she said.
"People told me all kinds of stories, and the stories were quite eye-opening and they actually gave me a bit of confidence.
"They led me to believe that if I was organised and presentable and articulate and could stand up in a VCAT hearing room and tell my side of the story then I would be fine.
"I printed off copies of the various emails and notes that I'd made of correspondence between myself and the landlord over those three years and just focused on being ready to put my side of the story in a respectful and articulate way."

How did you feel after the ruling?

"I felt a lot of relief and vindication; however, I still felt quite angry," she said.
"The cumulative effect of living in a rental property for three years where you're never confident that a breakdown or something that you need to be fixed quickly is going to be attended to, is that you don't feel very confident or relaxed in your own home.

How to prepare for rental disputes:

Don't get emotional
Stick to the facts.

"Keep calm, rational and objective," says Allan Anforth, a tribunal member in the ACT and former member in NSW.

"A tenant who's angry or full of conspiracy theories and says nasty things to everybody including the tribunal members is really unhelpful."

Prepare your evidence
"If you have the piece of paper to prove what you're saying is what happened, that's what you need," says Leo Patterson Ross from Tenants NSW.

When you first move into a place, keep a record of all correspondence between you and the agent or landlord.

Emails, texts and letters can be provided as evidence.

Bring a witness such as a housemate.

Read a statement if you're nervous
On hearing day, you'll probably have to speak before a tribunal member or magistrate and may be asked questions.

Write down your story and be clear and honest about what happened and how you want the dispute to be resolved.

Try resolving a dispute outside a tribunal
Depending on the disagreement, there are ways to resolve things before going to a tribunal.

Speak to your landlord or agent first or seek advice from tenancy advocacy services.

Some state consumer bodies have dispute resolution services.

"While I felt relieved and vindicated I still felt stressed. It's like, 'That's the end of that, thank God,' but it's going to take me a little while to unclench.
"The feeling that came to me later was a kind of secondary feeling of anger on behalf of tenants who maybe aren't English-fluent.
"They might be precariously employed in shift work, it might be very hard for them to take half a day off work to trek out to a VCAT hearing.
"The idea that these tenants can be exploited in such a shoddy way made me really sad and angry."

Was it worth it?

"I don't think there was any question I would have [defended myself]. It was absolutely worth it," she said.

So, you're a happy renter now?

"I am such a happy renter [now]. In fact, after the Coburg experience I feel like my ship has come in. I'm renting with a different agent. The real estate agent is responsive, he's friendly, he's courteous," she said.
"I feel he respects my time and more importantly my right to enjoy my home that I'm renting."

Do you have any thoughts on how to have a good relationship with your landlord?

"People have such widely-diverging experiences between really supportive and positive, to absolutely direly negative," she said.
"If you are in the market for a rental property, keep your eyes open, take advice.
"Be mindful of your own responsibilities as a tenant, it's not a one-way street. If you're signing a lease you're undertaking a responsibility to maintain someone else's property.
"But be aware of your own rights and don't be cowed or intimidated or ignored into feeling like your rights as a tenant don't matter."

Winning back bond, plus interest



Carla Garetti's time living at a Blue Mountains granny flat turned sour at the end of her lease in 2017, when the landlord alleged she had damaged some bathroom tiles.
The tiles were chipped and the landlord claimed it would cost $1,485 to repair the bathroom.
Carla ended up fighting the landlord in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal, winning back her bond of $1,200 plus interest.
With help from the tenants' union, she gave the tribunal the original condition report which noted the damage and statutory declarations backing her evidence.

Were the tiles already damaged before you moved in?

"I noticed the tiles in the bathroom were chipped and so I did claim it on the ingoing report," Ms Garetti said.
"Nothing was mentioned in the nine months of renting from the landlord or the real estate agent.
"It's not my nature to [fight]. I don't like conflict so it was really difficult for me to stand up for myself.
"I decided to stay strong and fight for what I know was right because I didn't damage any part of the property."

How were you feeling during the hearing?

"English is not my first language, so being in that circumstance was quite confronting, especially because the setting doesn't allow proper communication. The judge sits far away and it's not easy to hear what the judge is saying," she said.
"The judge was very firm on finding common ground and asked several times for me and the real estate agent to [negotiate]. I was intimidated by this; however, I understand that that's the judge's role to push for negotiation.
"I was quite nervous, but I kept repeating to myself that there was nothing to worry about.
"I decided that I wanted to stand up for myself and not come down to compromises because I would have lost money for no reason."

What's your advice to other renters?

"Have faith in yourself and have faith in the law. The law is there to defend what is right," she said.
"Be very careful. Take a lot of pictures of whatever you see around the property. That's what I said to myself for the next tenancy."

First posted earlier today at 5:28am

Have your say

Please read our house rules and terms of use.
18 comments
265 people listening
AlexGD888

Having rented a number of places and rented out my own house, i can see both sides of the coin here. I always look after a place i'm renting like it was my own and have still found it a nightmare to get the bond back or have things fixed.


On the other hand, i've had nothing but awful tenants who seem to break things in ways i just find unbelievable. I've gotten my place looking nice again after the damage that was caused plus done a bit extra so i feel happy with the place. i'm considering going overseas again for a while and i'm extremely reluctant to get a tenant in due to the previous experiences.
Shane4000

From the perspective of a landlord who always maintains the property and agrees to any reasonable request (generally demands) from  tenants (air con installation, security screens, painting etc), I have had some tenants who did a lot of damage and seemed not to be able to be held accountable:
1. One lot of tenants cost more that the gross years rental income by trashing the bathroom and kitchen prior to vacating the property.  The real estate agent and the Landlords Insurance were useless. 
2. Another tenant cost thousands and thousands of dollars worth of costs as they kept putting sanitary products down the toilet and blocking it, all the while denying that they were causing the issue.

Whilst there are no doublt many dodgy landlords out there, there are also poor estate agents and bad tenants.


Michael06

Once had my residential bond challenged for alleged damage to the common area of a block of units.  The Body Corporate wanted to withhold about $1800 due to damage caused as we moved out of a middle floor unit - paint chips on railings, scuffs on walls, etc.




The letting agent attended an on-site  "mediation" which went our way when we showed the same marks were also on the level ABOVE our flat.  The Body Corp representatives huffed and puffed but the agent threatened to call in the police (completely idle threat, but it worked!).  Rental bonds are often seen as a contribution to the sinking fund, it seems...


Miles Craven

@Michael06  As soon as you decide on a date to move out from rental accommodation you should begin the process of claiming your bond from the Residential Bonds Board (or interstate equivalent). This is YOUR money. It belongs to you and his held in trust to cover any genuine costs incurred by the landlord as a result of misbehaviour or negligence on the part of the tenant. If you ask the agent or landlord for the bond, they will invariably offer you less and justify this with some sort of bodgey claim of damage to the property. But if you claim your bond directly from the relevant authority, the onus is much more on the landlord to substantiate any financial losses and prove negligence or misbehaviour by the tenant. In most cases they don't even try because they KNOW that they have no case and are just trying it on.
Remember, it is not acceptable for a landlord to demand that a carpet be steam-cleaned, and the same goes for any number of bogus claims made by landlords. It is only damage over and above what would normally be classified as "reasonable wear and tear" that they can claim for.
In the case of a block of flats or units with common stairways, some damage from the normal moving in/moving out activities of tenants would most likely be considered to be "reasonable wear and tear" by a tribunal because it is the sort of damage one would reasonably expect from the removal of a household via a narrow staircase. It would only be in a case where excessive damage had been caused by an act of malice or negligence from a tenant, that the bond would become an issue.
60plus

I rented for about 10 years when I started work. In those days most rentals were through agents and owners were unlikely to be involved. Some agents regarded the bond as their bonus but as it was usually 1 months rent it wasn't that big a problem.
I did rent a few years back in Canberra and found it more intrusive with inspections etc but took the trouble to fully document the conditions on arrival and presented the agent with a copy. Got a compliment on the document and had no problem with the bond but then again I was from Defence and they are a major user of rental properties in Canberra.
growsontrees

I've rented for 20 years and experienced many instances of poor form from agents and once, from a landlord. Things like repairs not being undertaken in a timely manner (or at all!), un-treated mould issues etc have been common.

The one time I rented privately as a lone young woman, I had the much older male landlord at my home almost every day doing "repairs". For example, I'd wake in the AM to find him on a ladder immediately outside my open bedroom window cleaning gutters. I served him with multiple breach notices on the advice of the RTA and they spoke to him on the phone once about it, but it didn't cease. In the end, I was given the "option" to put up with it or leave. I had to do the latter, which was enormously disruptive and expensive at the time.
Another time, my friend and I successfully took an agent to the tribunal. Upon moving into a house in regional NSW, we discovered it had been trashed by the previous tenants since we'd inspected it. The agent had let us sign the lease when we picked up the keys in the morning, without mentioning the damage. Cupboard doors were hanging off hinges, holes had been punched in walls, locks were broken, sinks were blocked - the damage was very extensive. We took photos of everything and immediately went back to the agent to demand the lease be terminated. They refused so we told them we would apply to the tribunal. However, the date of the hearing was set for six weeks away, meaning we had to live in and pay rent for the house in the meantime. Once at the tribunal, the presiding judge chatted to our agent about the game of golf they were set to play that weekend, which was a bit disheartening to be honest.  After looking at the photos we'd taken of the house, though, he terminated our lease, telling the agent the house was uninhabitable from the start. We got our bond back. However, when we argued that we deserved our rent or at least part of it back too, he told us not to "push your luck". If we'd been older we'd have pursued it but we were very young and knew we'd have little chance of renting locally through an agent again as it was.
The only other time an agent claimed some of our bond, it was to remove a few fallen palm branches from the garden, which had well over 15 or so palm trees in it. We'd taken exceptional care of their property, including that garden in the five years there - it was in better condition when we left than when we moved in. Anyway, they claimed over $400 of our bond simply to remove a couple of palm branches, which was very mean-spirited in our view. Unfortunately, we'd moved from that house 2000km interstate and thus, wouldn't be able to appear at a tribunal hearing in order to challenge them, so we felt compelled to accept the claim.
I could go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment