Friday 23 February 2024

Alexei Navalny's mother says she has been shown his body, accuses Russian investigators of planning to bury him in secret.

 Extract from ABC News

Lyudmila Navalny says she has been taken to a morgue to see her late son's body.

She accused Russian investigators of "blackmailing" her over the funeral of her son, claiming they were trying to force her to hold a private burial ceremony without mourners.

She made the allegation in a video published on YouTube, Reuters reports.

"The investigators claim that they know the cause of death, they have all the medical and legal documents ready, which I saw, and I signed the medical death certificate," Ms Navalny said in the video. 

"According to the law, they should have given me Alexei’s body right away, but they have not done so until now.

"Instead, they are blackmailing me, setting me conditions on where, when and how Alexei should be buried. This is illegal."

Alexei Navalny's aides said the death certificate stated that the 47-year-old opposition politician had died of natural causes.

'If I don’t agree to a secret funeral, they will do something with my son’s body'

Mr Navalny's mother quoted one of the investigators as saying: "Time is not on your side, corpses decompose."

"I'm recording this video because they started threatening me. Looking into my eyes, they say that if I don’t agree to a secret funeral, they will do something with my son’s body," she said.

"I don't want special conditions.

"I just want everything to be done according to the law. I demand that my son's body be returned to me immediately."

There was no immediate response from Russian investigators.

A photo of a man on a table with candles
Candles burn as people attend a vigil following the death of Mr Navalny.(Reuters: Benoit Tessier)

Mr Navalny died last week in an Arctic penal colony and his team and family have alleged that the Kremlin murdered him.

The Kremlin denies this, saying it had nothing to do with Mr Navalny's death, and that the circumstances are being investigated.

President Vladimir Putin has yet to comment on it.

Reuters

No comments:

Post a Comment