Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Tuesday, 31 July 2018
My Health Record: former privacy head warned of dangers six years ago
‘It may well be military-grade [security] on the central servers of the
My Health Record system. It’s demonstrably not military-grade for all of
those 900,000 practitioners.’
Photograph: Alamy
Australia’s former privacy commissioner warned government officials about the dangers of an opt-out My Health Record system six years ago, but said his cautions were ignored.
Malcolm Crompton, now an adviser at one of Australia’s leading
information privacy consultancies, has also warned digital health
records will not be secure unless a widespread audit of every GP clinic
in Australia is conducted.
“It may well be military-grade [security] on the central servers of the My Health Record system,” Crompton told Guardian Australia. “It’s demonstrably not military-grade for all of those 900,000 practitioners.
“Literally because nobody knows. Nobody has actually audited those
900,000 practitioners to make any statement of any sort on how secure
they are.”
Last week Malcolm Turnbull pledged to address privacy concerns raised about the government’s My Health Record system. Healthcare and social security groups have expressed significant concern
about the lack of privacy safeguards in the legislation governing the
system, which could allow warrantless access by a broad range of
government departments, including Centrelink, Medicare or the Australian
Tax Office.
IT experts also say the system is prone to cyber threats,
particularly because the records will be accessible by a vast range of
people in the medical workforce, many of whom will have weak cyber
security.
Health minister Greg Hunt has repeatedly stated the data will be secure and no access will be allowed without a court order.
What is My Health Record? – video explainer
Crompton,
the privacy commissioner between 1999 and 2004, said the government had
been repeatedly warned about the security risks now being canvassed. In
2012, Crompton addressed health department officials directly about the
dangers of an opt-out system during a roundtable on digital health records.
“I said ‘the change from opt-in to opt-out is inevitable, and these
are the risks of doing so and some of the actions necessary to redress
the imbalance’. Department of Health people were present,” he said.
“Others have issued similar warnings. So there are no surprises about
any of these issues now being raised. The difference is that they were
dismissed or not dealt with properly. They are still being raised and
are being taken seriously, or at least seriously enough for Mr Hunt to
be talking to the doctors.”
The Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research is among those who have also warned of the privacy and security risks of moving to an opt-out system.
In 2015, the institute published a report calling for a “comprehensive system security and privacy safeguard review” before the implementation of the opt-out system.
Following this review, the government would need to “implement a mix
of technology, policy and process mechanisms aimed at strengthening
security and privacy controls”, the report said.
It also recommended a major public education campaign before moving
to opt-out, to demonstrate the privacy and security safeguards of the
system.
A spokesman for Hunt said he would meet this week with the presidents
of the Australian Medical Association and the Royal Australian College
for General Practitioners to “work constructively” with them about their
concerns.
He said Australians had a choice to opt-out if they wished, and could decide how their medical information was controlled.
“Labor brought in this legislation in 2012 and it has been operating
for six years and just under six million Australians are already on the
system,” the spokesman said.
“My Health Record is subject to some of the strongest legislation in
the world to prevent unauthorised use and backed up by a world-leading
cyber security team.”
Crompton, who has himself opted out, said he had little faith in the
government’s ability to resolve the myriad of privacy and security
issues.
“They will be pushed to make minimal change amid extreme noise,” he said.
Crompton said the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
is under-resourced to cope with such a vast scheme. He compared OAIC’s
resourcing for audits with the kind of money corporations spent on
financial auditing.
“The privacy commissioner is doing the commissioner’s darnedest to be
as effective as possible with the budget they’ve been given,” he said.
“But somebody in the department of finance keeps on leaving off a
couple of zeros before the decimal point. It’s not just under-resourced
... it’s criminally under-resourced.”
No comments:
Post a Comment