Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Friday, 21 August 2026
European nations condemn major Israeli settlement plans in West Bank.
The proposed development would see the Israeli settlement of Ma'ale Adumim expanded. (ABC News: Tim Swanston)
In short:
Major
European powers France, Italy, the UK and Germany have condemned
Israeli moves to develop a controversial settlement in the occupied West
Bank.
Israeli plans to press
ahead with E1, as it is known, would effectively break the West Bank in
two and make Palestinian statehood impossible, according to critics of
the project.
One Israeli government minister previously said the plans would "bury" the idea of a Palestinian state.
France,
Italy, Britain and Germany have jointly condemned a major settlement
project in the West Bank and called on Israel to end settlement
expansion in the occupied Palestinian territory.
The
joint statement by the major European powers came after the Israeli
government announced it would open up construction tenders for a
residential property project called E1 in the occupied West Bank.
"At
a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels
of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on
the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning," the
countries said in a joint statement.
They urged Israel "to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank".
"The
decision by the Israeli government to publish bid offers for
construction projects within the framework of the E1 settlers' project
is unacceptable."
The planned E1 development sits in the occupied West Bank just outside Jerusalem. (ABC News)
Plans
to develop the E1 project, a 12-square-kilometre area on the outskirts
of Jerusalem, are decades old but never been formally proceeded with.
However, the outbreak of the war between Israel and Hamas revived Israeli ambitions.
The development would kick the local Bedouin community out and replace it with 3,401 homes and a new road.
In
January this year the Israeli government announced plans to start
construction, and authorities opened bidding to construct more than
1,200 homes in the area this week.
UK Foreign Minister David Miliband said he delivered the joint message directly to his Israeli counterpart Gideon Saar.
Mr
Saar then responded publicly on social media site X, saying he rejected
"outright" Mr Miliband's statement and "the patronising tone of his
words".
"The Jewish people have
the right to live throughout the Land of Israel, just as the British
have the right to live in London and throughout the United Kingdom," Mr
Saar wrote.
No comments:
Post a Comment