Monday 6 April 2020

THE WORKER, October 5, 1895 - One Class of Anarchist.

*THE WORKER*
BRISBANE, October 5, 1895.


One Class of Anarchist.


A man named Edward Leggatt has been brought before the Thames magistrates for travelling in a railway carriage of higher class than that for which he had paid his fare. His defence, which had been reduced to writing, was original; “ I am an Anarchist, and refuse to recognise the right of a section of parasites, calling themselves shareholders, to make rules, regulations and by-laws, own railways and monopolise the results of the united labours of thousands of working men, and then dictate upon the terms they shall travel. I only recognise one class, viz., the working class, who produces all the wealth of the world, and are therefore the only useful class, and the only class entitled to ride. The others, viz., politicians, law makers, judges, the modern Solomons called ‘magistrates,’ retired soap boilers, gamblers on the Stock Exchange, exploiters, aldermen, sky-pilots, bishops, and the host of parasites who do not work, but live in luxury and idleness, should be compelled to walk.

I always ride first or second class, not because I wish to mix with the respectable or ruling classes, but because, as a worker, I want comfort and prefer stuffed cushions to deal boards. It is quite true that a labelled slave, uniformed and numbered, called an inspector, asked me why I rode second class. I told him because the third class ‘cattle truck’ did not suit me, and I object to stand 15 in one compartment, as the workers do morning and night. I belong to the highest class in the land-the working class-who keep those who neither toil nor spin. I do this on principle, not from any mean or paltry motive, like the ‘masher’ in the carriage. . . . When your company think proper to give proper accommodation I shall be glad to get away from the wretched goody goody would-be aristocrats on £2 a week (or less) who, although they profess to believe we shall all meet together somewhere beyond the moon when we are dead, say, ‘For heaven’s sake, keep apart on earth.’ . . . . Whatever you do I shall still resist oppression and ride in comfort, whether you call it second or five hundredth class. . . . I refuse to obey unjust rules framed by those who exist on fraud and robbery, like Lord Hamilton. . . . I always demand comfort when possible for the class to which I belong, and if that be a crime I am proud to be a ‘criminal.’”

He who would be free, himself must strike the blow. Long live Anarchy, and to hell with government.
Evidence was given that there was plenty of room in the third class carriages, and a fine of 20s. and 20s. costs was inflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment