Thursday 13 August 2020

James Hansen - Sophie’s Planet #19: Chapters 27&28 (1987 & 1988 Testimonies to Congress)

 

12 August 2020

James Hansen
Drafts of Chapters 27&28 are available here for fact checking.

Sorry!  I have revised the paleoclimate chapter substantially.  Some non-scientists found the prior versions difficult to follow.  Now I have completed the “reframing” to get rid of the confusing precession of a spinning top, which is unnecessary.  I think the story is clear now.

Some people asked: why do we care about subtle differences among interglacial periods?  Understanding those differences is important.  We will need to manage the retreat from the climate brink over the next several decades for young people to avoid disastrous consequences.  We must understand the differences between the Eemian, when sea level reached 6-9 meters higher than in the current (Holocene) interglacial period.  Those differences are decipherable.

I will send out a revised Chapter 25 soon, and respond to some comments about yesterday’s Communication (Why Are You Optimistic?).
 
You can sign up for our monthly global temperature updates here.

You can sign up for my other Communications here.

I opened a Twitter account @DrJamesEHansen, (https://twitter.com/drjamesehansen), but I am focusing mainly on finishing the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment