Extract from ABC News
Mr Trump had previously set a global baseline tariff of 10 per cent. (Reuters: Elizabeth Frantz)
In short:
Donald Trump says he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on imports from all countries.
It comes a day after the US Supreme Court ruled against his previous tariff program, finding he had no authority to implement it.
What's next?
The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law that requires congressional approval to extend them after 150 days.
US President Donald Trump says he will raise a temporary tariff to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
The move on Saturday, local time, came less than 24 hours after the US president announced a 10 per cent across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision.
The ruling found Mr Trump had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law.
The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that allows tariffs up to 15 per cent but requires congressional approval to extend them after 150 days.
No US president has previously invoked Section 122, and its use could lead to further legal challenges.
Trade experts and congressional aides were sceptical the Republican-majority Congress would extend the tariffs, given polls that show growing numbers of Americans blame the duties for higher prices.
Trump eyes other ways to impose tariffs
In a social media post on Saturday, Mr Trump said he would use the 150-day period to work on issuing other "legally permissible" tariffs.
The administration intends to rely on two other statutes that permit import taxes on specific products or countries based on investigations into national security or unfair trade practices.
"I, as President of the United States of America, will be, effective immediately, raising the 10% Worldwide Tariff on Countries, many of which have been 'ripping' the U.S. off for decades, without retribution (until I came along!), to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level," he wrote on Truth Social.
The Section 122 tariffs include exemptions for certain products, such as critical minerals, metals and energy products, according to the White House.
The Supreme Court's decision, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, concluded the law Mr Trump had used for most of his tariffs — the International Emergency Economic Powers Act — did not grant the president the powers he claimed.
The chief justice was joined in the majority by fellow conservatives Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett, both Trump appointees, and the court's three liberal justices.
The US Supreme Court struck down the president's previous tariff program on Friday. (AP: Jose Luis Magana)
Mr Trump reacted with fury to the ruling, calling the justices in the majority "fools" and describing Mr Gorsuch and Ms Barrett in particular as "embarrassments," while vowing to continue his global trade war.
Some foreign leaders applauded the decision. French President Emmanuel Macron said the ruling showed it is good for democracies to have counterweights to power and the rule of law.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he expected the decision would ease the burden on German companies. He said he would use his upcoming US trip to reiterate that "tariffs harm everyone".
Previous trade deals remain
Mr Trump has used the tariffs, or the threat of imposing them, to extract trade deals from foreign countries.
After the court's decision, the president's trade representative, Jamieson Greer, told Fox News on Friday that those countries must honour agreements even if they include higher rates than the Section 122 tariffs.
Exports to the US from countries such as Malaysia and Cambodia would continue to be taxed at their negotiated rates of 19 per cent, even though the universal rate is lower, Mr Greer said.
Donald Trump was said to be "seething" after Friday's court ruling. (AP: Alex Brandon)
Indonesia's chief negotiator for US tariffs, Airlangga Hartarto, said the trade deal between the countries that set US tariffs at 19 per cent, which was signed on Friday, remains in force despite the court decision.
The ruling could spell good news for countries like Brazil, which has not negotiated a deal with Washington to lower its 40 per cent tariff rate but could now see its tariff rate drop to 15 per cent, at least temporarily.
With November's midterm elections looming, Mr Trump's approval rating on his handling of the economy has steadily declined during his year in office, with 34 per cent of respondents saying they approve and 57 per cent saying they disapprove in a Reuters/Ipsos poll that closed on Monday.
Affordability remains a top concern for voters. Democrats, who need to flip only three Republican-held seats in the US House of Representatives in November to win a majority, have blamed Mr Trump's tariffs for the rising cost of living.
Reuters
No comments:
Post a Comment