Contemporary politics,local and international current affairs, science, music and extracts from the Queensland Newspaper "THE WORKER" documenting the proud history of the Labour Movement.
MAHATMA GANDHI ~ Truth never damages a cause that is just.
Thursday, 7 February 2019
One in five parents had payments cut in first six months of new welfare program
Australia’s ParentsNext program risks ‘entrenching and exacerbating poverty and inequality’, a Senate inquiry has been told.
Photograph: Joe Castro/AAP
One in five parents on the government’s contentious job-ready scheme
for disadvantaged parents had their payments suspended in the program’s
first six months, new data reveals.
As the Australian Human Rights Commission argued the ParentsNext
program was “manifestly inconsistent with Australia’s human rights
obligations” and social services and legal groups call for the program
to be overhauled or scrapped, departmental figures show thousands of
parents are having their payments cut under the new program.
More than 16,000 parents received a payment suspension between July
and December 2018, representing 21% of the 75,000 participants. The
suspension rate for Indigenous parents – who are targeted for
eligibility and make up 19% of participants – is higher at 27%.
The suspensions are considered particularly concerning because all
ParentsNext participants have children between six months and five years
old and generally have no other source of income.
The new data is contained in a joint submission to Senate inquiry
into ParentsNext by a coalition of legal groups, which is among those
calling for the $263m pre-employment program to be abandoned.
Thousands of single parents were temporarily cut from welfare between July and December 2018.
The coalition – made up of the Human Rights Law Centre and the
National Family Violence Prevention Legal Services Forum – argued the
program unjustifiably discriminates against women and Indigenous Australians.
The money would be better spent on “evidence-based, voluntary and empowering” programs, the submission said.
“Our government should be thanking women for the endless hours of
breastfeeding and nappy-changing … not threatening to leave them without
money for food for them and their babies,” said Adrianne Walters, a
senior lawyer at the Human Rights Law Centre.
The submission was one of many – including from the National Social
Security Rights Network, Good Shepherd Australia and the National
Council for Single Mothers and their Children – that called for a voluntary program without compliance measures.
The Australian Human Rights Commission, which echoed that call, said
the program was “inconsistent with Australia’s human rights
obligations”.
The “retrogressive” compliance regime breached the “right to social
security” and risked “entrenching and exacerbating poverty and
inequality”, it said.
The commission said the program’s “direct discrimination” of
Indigenous Australians and “indirect discrimination” against women could
not be justified, despite the government’s claims it would reduce
disadvantage for those groups.
The commission was also concerned by reports in Guardian Australia that parents on the program were allegedly pressured into allowing private job service providers to collect their “sensitive information”.
The government acknowledges the “intensive stream” of the program is
aimed at areas with high numbers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander parents receiving the parenting payment. Welfare recipients who
live in “intensive stream” areas are more likely to be placed on the
program because the eligibility criteria is broader.
Statistics indicate 95% of participants are women and about 99% are
single parents. ParentsNext providers had previously called for the
suspensions to be scrapped because they are forcing some parents to visit food banks.
Once
placed on ParentsNext, participants must complete set weekly
“activities” such as study or parenting classes to keep their payments. Guardian Australia revealed last year that those activities have included playgroup, “story time” and swimming lessons.
Parents who fail to report their income, their attendance at
activities, or for not turning up at appointments with their providers
receive a temporary payment suspension.
These are restored when they “re-engage” with their provider, but
participants have reported being unable to report due to problems with
the Centrelink app and receiving suspensions for taking their children
to kindergarten rather than their pre-approved activity.
One ParentsNext participant has served a “financial penalty” after they had racked up six “demerit points”.
The points are imposed by ParentsNext providers when parents fail to
meet their requirements. Financial penalties can include having their
payment docked by 50%, losing a full payment or being cut from
Centrelink for four weeks.
The Senate inquiry into ParentsNext, which was established by the Greens and Labor, will report at the end of March.
No comments:
Post a Comment