Thursday 30 July 2020

James Hansen - Sophie’s Planet #17: Chapter 25 (Paleoclimate and “Slow” Feedbacks)

28 July 2020

James Hansen
Whew!  Chapter 25 was hard, and I’m still not happy with it – afraid that it is too technical.  So I added this paragraph at the end of revised Chapter 24 (Deep Water and Two Angels):

Climate oscillations in Earth’s history are especially useful in providing information about “slow” climate feedbacks.  Chapter 25 takes a fairly deep dive into climate science.  A reader uninterested in such complexity could jump to the summary on the final page.  In Chapter 26, I resume in the mid-1980s a chronological account of the climate story as seen through my eyes.

However, I hope that the non-scientist will tackle the challenge of reading about the remarkable glacial cycles that our planet has experienced again and again.  We can learn a lot from Earth’s history, especially if we combine paleo studies with observations of what is happening now, and interpret all of this with the help of global climate models.

Chapter 25. Paleoclimate and “Slow” Feedbacks is available here for fact checking.
 
You can sign up for our monthly global temperature updates here.

You can sign up for my other Communications here.

I opened a Twitter account @DrJamesEHansen, (https://twitter.com/drjamesehansen), but I am focusing mainly on finishing the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment